On Sep 22, 2009, at 6:57 AM, Steven Bellovin wrote:
Is there any way to use FileVault on MacOS except on home
directories?  I don't much want to use it on my home directory; it
doesn't play well with Time Machine (remember that availability is
also a security property); besides, different directories of mine
have different sensitivity levels.

I suppose I could install TrueCrypt (other suggestions or comments
on TrueVault?), but I prefer to minimize the amount of extra
software I have to maintain.

Hi Steven

You can just use encrypted disk images, which is IIRC what FileVault
uses.

In Disk Utility -> New Image, select size, properties and encryption
type (AES 128 or 256) and Create.

Then mount and use your encrypted disks as needed.

Cheers