On Sep 22, 2009, at 5:57 AM, Darren J Moffat wrote:

Ivan Krsti  wrote:
TrueCrypt is a fine solution and indeed very helpful if you need cross-platform encrypted volumes; it lets you trivially make an encrypted USB key you can use on Linux, Windows and OS X. If you're *just* talking about OS X, I don't believe TrueCrypt offers any advantages over encrypted disk images unless you're big on conspiracy theories.

Note my information may be out of date. I believe that MacOS native encrypted disk images (and thus FileVault) uses AES in CBC mode without any integrity protection, the Wikipedia article seems to confirm that is (or at least was) the case http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FileVault

Unauthenticated CBC is indeed a problem
        http://tinyurl.com/ycoaruo

There is also a sleep mode issue identified by the NSA:
http://crypto.nsa.org/vilefault/23C3-VileFault.pdf

I don't think that Jacob Appelbaum or Ralf-Philipp Weinmann work for the NSA (but having "crypto.nsa.org" is cool :-)

TrueCrypt on the other hand uses AES in XTS mode so you get confidentiality and integrity.

Technically, you do not get integrity. With XTS (P1619, narrow block tweaked cipher) you are not notified of data integrity failures, but these data integrity failures have a much reduced usability than CBC. With XTS:

1) You can return 16 byte chunks to previous values (ciphertext replay) as long as it is to the same place (offset) as it was before.

2) If you change a bit, you will randomize a 16 byte chunk of information.

With the P1619.2 mode, I believe, is called TET (IEEE 1619.2, wide block tweaked cipher) there are different characteristics. Usually the wide block is a sector so it can be 512 or some other value. In this case, you do not get complete integrity either. In this case

1) You can return a sector to a previous value (sector reply) as long as it is to the same place (offset) as it was before.

2) If you change a bit, you will randomize a complete sector of information.

If you change this to ZFS Crypto
        http://opensolaris.org/os/project/zfs-crypto/
You get complete integrity detection with the only remaining vulnerability that

1) you can return the entire disk to a previous state.

While I may have put you all asleep, the basic premise holds... XTS is better than unauthenticated CBC.
        http://www.cpni.gov.uk/docs/re-20050509-00385.pdf
        http://jvn.jp/niscc/NISCC-004033/index.html
        http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/302220

--