On 2010-08-25 11:04 PM, Richard Salz wrote:
Also, note that HSTS is presently specific to HTTP. One could imagine
expressing a more generic "STS" policy for an entire site

A really knowledgeable net-head told me the other day that the problem
with SSL/TLS is that it has too many round-trips.  In fact, the RTT costs
are now more prohibitive than the crypto costs.  I was quite surprised to
hear this; he was stunned to find it out.

This is inherent in the layering approach - inherent in our current crypto architecture.

To avoid inordinate round trips, crypto has to be compiled into the application, has to be a source code library and application level protocol, rather than layers.

Every time you layer one communication protocol on top of another, you get another round trip.

When you layer application protocol on ssl on tcp on ip, you get round trips to set up tcp, and *then* round trips to set up ssl, *then* round trips to set up the application protocol.