On 08/26/2010 06:38 AM, d...@geer.org wrote:
While I am *not* arguing that point, per se, if having a
better solution would require, or would have required, no
more investment than the accumulated profits in the sale
of SSL domain name certs, we could have solved this by now.

the profit from sale of SSL domain name certs had profit motivation pretty much
unrelated to the overall costs to the infrastructure ... and so there was
an extremely strong champion.

simply enhancing DNS and doing real-time trusted public key distribution
thru a trusted domain name infrastructure ... was all cost with no champion
with strong profit motivation.