On 10/09/13 06:29 AM, John Kelsey wrote:
  But I am not sure how much it helps against tampered chips.  If I can tamper
with the noise source in hardware to make it predictable, it seems like I
should also be able to make it simulate the expected behavior.  I expect this
is more complicated than, say, breaking the noise source and the internal
testing mechanisms so that the RNG outputs a predictable output stream, but I
am not sure it is all that much more complicated.  How expensive is a
lightweight stream cipher keyed off the time and the CPU serial number or some
such thing to generate pseudorandom bits?  How much more to go from that to a
simulation of the expectdd behavior, perhaps based on the same circutry used in
the unhacked version to test the noise source outputs?

The question of whether one could simulate a raw physical source is tantalising. I see diverse opinions as to whether it is plausible, and thinking about it, I'm on the fence.

I'd say it might be an unstudied problem -- for us. It's sounding like an interesting EE/CS project, masters or PhD level?

If anyone has studied it, I'd bet fair money that the NSA has.

iang