On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 11:08 PM, Eugen Leitl <eu...@leitl.org> wrote:

> I do not think that the spooks are too far away from open research in
>  QC hardware. It does not seem likely that we'll be getting real QC
> any time soon, if ever.

I don't think the spooks are ahead of the public either, and I really doubt
the NSA has a large quantum computer.

We still haven't seen quantum computers built yet which can truly rival
their conventional electronic brethren, especially if you look at it from a
cost perspective. DWave computers are interesting from a novelty
perspective, but not really ready to replace existing computers, even for
highly specialized tasks like running Shor's algorithm.

Nevertheless, if you've been following the trends in quantum computers over
the last few years, they are getting larger, and DWave is an example of
them moving out of the labs and turning into something you can buy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a large quantum computer built in the next
two decades.

--
Tony Arcieri