On 2011-06-13 2:57 PM, Nico Williams wrote:
I don't think it's fair to blame private financial
institutions for the ill-effects of an ill-advised government plan to
subsidize housing ownership by individuals.  Without Frannie, CRA, or
anything of the sort I don't think we'd have seen the degree of
financialization of housing that we saw, meaning that we wouldn't have
seen the home mortgage credit growth that drove the housing bubble,
thus neither the bubble nor the crash.  (Well, bubbles can happen
without the help of the government, so let's say that the likelihood
of such an immense bubble would have been pretty low without Frannie
and CRA).

All the bad things the private sector did, it also did with commercial real estate. But the commercial real estate bubble did not cause a massive crisis. A lot of commercial real estate loans went bad. Financiers ate them. That was that.

The difference was Fannie, Freddie, and the CRA.