On 2011-07-20 11:24 PM, Ian G wrote:
Well, it's clearly inefficient, but that's a design feature :) Privacy
can't really be claimed as it has a public database, and it's a sucker
for datamining. Latency I gather has its issues too.

A distributed currency requires a consensus as to who owns what coins.

I transferred a few cents worth of bitcoins between one identity and another. It took a very long time for the first confirmations to come in. After a few days, there were a couple of hundred confirmations - a consensus so large as to be entirely irreversible.

But a couple of hundred confirmations is a significant communication overhead, and has an impact on privacy.