On 2011-07-21, Marsh Ray wrote:

I guess I don't see the need to do bitcoin crypto transactions at that speed any more than the other high-speed exchanges need to rapidly move stock certificates, hard cash, or perform ACH/EFTs.

That's probably true. But then, HST is just an example of a mechanism which creates prodigious amounts of transaction data. There are others, starting simply with wide enough adoption of Bitcoin. So if the amount of transaction data being shipped around can become a bottleneck here, it could indicate a scalability limit on Bitcoin in more realistic situations.
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-50-5756111, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2