On Sep 13, 2011, at 11:57 AM, Steven Bellovin wrote:

>> From personal experience -- I use https to read news.google.com; Firefox 6
> on a Mac complains about wildcard certificates.  And ietf.org's certificate
> expired recently; it took a day or so to get a new one installed.

This last bit might be relevant to the mailing list.
- The IETF's cert was for *.ietf.org
- It took a week, not "a day or so" to get the new one installed
Steve: I wonder if your browser, after you dismissed the dialog once, silently
remembered that dismissal for a week, or if it stopped asking you after a day.

--Paul Hoffman