On 2011 Nov 30, at 17:18 , Lee wrote:

> On 11/30/11, Rose, Greg <g...@qualcomm.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 2011 Nov 30, at 16:44 , Adam Back wrote:
>>
>>> Are there really any CAs which issue sub-CA for "deep packet inspection"
>>> aka
>>> doing MitM and issue certs on the fly for everything going through them:
>>> gmail, hotmail, online banking etc.
>>
>> Yes, there are. I encountered one in a hotel at Charles de Gaulle airport a
>> few weeks ago.
>
> How did you know there was a MITM if it gave out a valid cert?

I run a wonderful Firefox extension called Certificate Patrol. It keeps a local
cache of certificates, and warns you if a certificate, CA, or public key
changes unexpectedly. Sort of like SSH meets TLS. As soon as I went to my
stockbroker's web site, the warnings started to appear. Then it was just
checking IP addresses and stuff.

Greg.