On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Maarten Billemont <lhun...@lyndir.com> wrote:
> I'm currently considering asking the user for their full name and using that
> as a salt in the scrypt operation.  Full names are often lengthy and there's
> a good deal of them.  Do you recon this might introduce enough entropy or
> should I also be asking for the user's birth date?  I'm just thinking that
> this is good information that will make for a wide enough range of different
> salts that it will hopefully make rainbow tables too expensive while still
> avoiding the problem that a user cannot remember any random salt of such
> entropy.

My problem with your design is that the statelessness of it forces you
to depend on a really, really good master password, because otherwise
any site [to which the user gives a password generated this way] can
then mount an off-line dictionary attack on the user's master
password.  This means that the user needs to have such a strong
password that it's likely not practical.

PBKDFs with large work/memory factors are useful when the attacker has
to compromise some other part of the system in order to be able to
mount an off-line dictionary attack on the password.  A scheme that
exposes material suitable for attacking without any other protections
is weak.

Nico