If the trustee (correct word?) stops passing the messages to your "CDMS"
(cryptographic dead man switch), it would simply decrypt the original
message automatically. So you can not put the entire mechanism in the hands
of the trustee, especially not the part that authorizes the decryption. I
could imagine that you would set up a remote server that would simply send
the secret to the trustee, encrypted to his public key for security, when
you stop "pinging" it by sending signed messages.

To prevent one server from being compromised and revealing the secret (even
if only to the trustee since it can be pre-encrypted), I could imagine
chained-session Secure Multiparty Computation across several remote
servers. The idea is that you run the SMPC software on your remote servers,
give a large random number to each, they generate a keypair inside the
virtual SMPC machine, and you encrypt the message to that key.The machines
split the keypair among themselves using a Secure Sharing Scheme. You send
that encrypted message to all the machines. Each day the machines re-run
the SMPC, sends their key parts and reassemble them using the secret
sharing scheme inside the SMPC, checks if a signed message have been
recieved from you, and if not it decrypts the secret message to the
trustee. A program on the machines will then see this message as the output
from the SMPC and send it to the trustee.

Overly complicated, maybe, but secure and can actually work.

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 3:51 PM, StealthMonger