People seem to be mixing curve25519 as a function and curve25519 as a ...
well, curve (I prefer this).

The form Samuel gives is compatible with many standards. And of course it
can be used for digital signatures. Implementations can choose to transform
to and from the Montgomery form and benefit from all the implementation
slickness.

I suspect Dan wouldn't like this because, viewing curve25519 as just a
curve and in "standards compatible form", there's so many ways an
implementation would violate all that curve25519 as a function brings to
the table. I can expand on these horror scenarios, or just use your
imagination.

BBB