On 2013-10-04 07:31, Jon Callas wrote:
absolutely, this is an emotional response. It's protest. Intellectually, I
believe that AES and SHA2 are not compromised. Emotionally, I am angry and I
want to distance myself from even the suggestion that I am standing with the
NSA. As Coderman and Iang put it, I want to*signal*  my fury. I am so pissed
off about this stuff that I don't*care*  about baby and bathwater, wheat and
chaff, or whatever else. I also want to signal reassurance to the people who
use my system that yes, I actually give a damn about this issue.
By moving away from anything NIST has touched he deprives the NSA of leverage to insert backdoors, contributing to the general good, from which his company, and thus himself also benefits. By opposing the NSA, he gives his company credibility that they will not secretly play footsy with the NSA behind closed doors, reassuring his customers and contributing to the particular good of his company and himself.