On 04/10/2014 12:29 AM, James A. Donald wrote:
> On 08/04/14 11:46, ianG wrote:
>>> We have here a rare case of a broad break in a security protocol leading
>>> to compromise of keys.
>
> On 2014-04-09 21:53, Alan Braggins wrote:
>> Though it's an implementation break, not a protocol break.
>
> Not exactly.  The protocol failed to define a response to nonsensical
> records.  The bug was that the protocol responded to invalid records the
> same way as if they were valid.
>
> The protocol should have said  "a valid record shall satisfy the
> following requirements.  Invalid records shall be silently discarded and
> all actions that depend on them silently terminated."

Well, the RFC [1] (end of p5) does say :

   If the payload_length of a received HeartbeatMessage is too large,
   the received HeartbeatMessage MUST be discarded silently.

I guess that doesn't say "longer than actual payload" though so
it doesn't explicitly call out the case that caused the problem.

I figure there are some protocol design lessons maybe. There's
a thread started on the TLS list about it today. [2] Be interesting
to see what that turns up.

S.

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6520
[2] https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tls/current/msg11891.html