On 10/04/14 00:41, Stephen Farrell wrote:
> Well, the RFC [1] (end of p5) does say :
>
>     If the payload_length of a received HeartbeatMessage is too large,
>     the received HeartbeatMessage MUST be discarded silently.
>
> I guess that doesn't say "longer than actual payload" though so
> it doesn't explicitly call out the case that caused the problem.

But it also says:
   the receiver MUST send a corresponding HeartbeatResponse
   message carrying an exact copy of the payload of the received
   HeartbeatRequest

If you don't consider that a payload_length longer than actual
payload is "too large", then an exact copy of the payload should
still be the same length as the original actual payload.

I figure there are some protocol design lessons maybe.

Oh yes, the protocol design is absolutely among the things
that lead to the implementation error.

(There's also the fact that OpenSSL responds to heartbeat
messages during a handshake, when the RFC says they SHOULD
be discarded. If it had said they MUST be discarded, perhaps
that mitigation would have been done.)