today. I want things to get better. I can't read e-books on my pocket computer, for
example, which is sad since I actually would be able to enjoy e-books if I only could
load them onto my small computer that follows my everywhere. Yes, of course I could
probably bypass the protection and make the e-book readable if I really wanted to, but
I honestly don't want to. Besides the Sklyarov case I don't feel I should need to
crack things I have legally purchased.

Second, what about CD's? Today I can buy music on CD's and use the sound the way I
want. I can put it in my MP3 player and I can practically do anything with it using a
wave editor. But what about the future? Would they sell unprotected versions of any
album so I can listen to and process music with the program of my choice?

> You will still be able to use your system in exactly the same ways that
> you use it today; you will be able to run all of the software that you
> run today.

But not with the same data.

How good is Winamp if it can't play any music recorded in 2004 or later? Given that
Windows Media Player can play all your tunes and it takes a reboot to switch to
Winamp, who wouldn't stick with WMP?

And remember that Microsoft encourages us to protect our own files and documents. What
will happen to the word processors, text editors and other programs we use today when
there is no data left for them to use since everything has been protected?

> The TCPA allows you to do something that you can't do today: run your
> system in a way which convinces the other guy that you will honor your
> promises, that you will guard his content as he requires in exchange for
> his providing it to you.  It allows you to be honest.

Only problem is; I'm not the one giving promises, it's my computer! "Yes, I will make
sure that the user only will be able to listen to this song three times. Don't you
worry. His opinion doesn't matter. I'm in charge here."

I'm not saying there isn't a market for listening to songs a limited number of times
for a smaller fee, I'm just worried they will take away the possiblity of listening an
unlimited number of times (or make it noticeably more expensive).

> Realize that the "trusted" mode of the TCPA will always be only an option,

Bottom line; not if you want to work with protected content. (Which, from what I can
understand, will include all future songs, movies and probably word documents and
loads of other data as well.) Or am I missing something?