On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 1:22:09 AM UTC-5, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> A spammer got around our defenses and hit our wiki. It looks like they
> created about 65 accounts (maybe more) and dropped 998 new spam pages
> starting on 31 December 2018. New pages 999 and 1000 are ones I created on
> 27 December 2018 for Release Signing.
>
> I put the wiki in Read-Only mode (
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Lock_the_database) and lost control
> of things. The website and wiki are down, and I got booted off my SSH
> connection. I can't reestablish the connection for some reason.
>
> The website and wiki are down, and I need some time to get things back up.

Two things here....

First, the IP address happened to change while I was working on the
machine. Wei changed DNS record and firt problem solved.

Second I had to cleanup the spam by hand. There were no extensions to do
what we needed. There were 11,000+ spam accounts setup over the years.
10,000+ happened this month. Each of the January 2019 spam account added
30-100 wiki pages, so we were full of junk...

I could not clean the spam one-by-one. It was too big a job. I settled on
deleting all users who user_id>5. Then I deleted all pages that no longer
had an author. That cleared all of the spam and some real content. (The
original five user_id are folks like Wei, me and Soren Dreijer. Account 6
was spam from 2004).

Feel free to recreate missing pages or point out missing content.

Jeff