I'm having trouble with a moderately extensive site which has
only a rudimentary implementation of CSS. This is the CSS coding
relevant to my question:

4.
5.  a {
6.     color: #000099;
7.     text-decoration: underline;
8.     font: bold 10px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
9.     }
10.  a:hover {
11.    color: 990000;
12.    text-decoration: none;
13.    font: bold 10px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
14.    }
15.

I'm trying to give a specific link a different style, but this
code:

16.  #alt a:link {blah}

and this code:

16.  div#alt a:link {blah}

and even this code:

16.  div#alt a:link {blah}
17.  div#alt a:active {blah}
18.  div#alt a:hover {blah}
19.  div#alt a:visited {blah}

does not work, either with or without the leading 'div'. Nothing
seems able to override the pseudo classes called out on lines 5
and 10 of the CSS sheet. Since I didn't want to go through the
several score of pages to give all the other links an ID, I am
faced with abandoning the idea of a different link style.

What can I do?

Reese

--
Ink Works