Edward Sanderson wrote:
Hi,
I've made a 3-col site for a client and am having problems with the middle column not accommodating it's content.

The site is full-width with fixed width side columns and a flexible middle (http://eh0647.empetushosting.net/dataspring/test.asp). It's based on Paul O'Brien's template (http://www.pmob.co.uk/temp/ 3colfixedtest_explained.htm) with some extra DIVs to apply a min- width to the page.

Everything seemed to be working really well until the client threw a really wide table in the centre column - and then in IE(win) that column dropped down to below the side columns. In every other browser I've tested the content just overflows the right-hand column, which is not ideal either.

I've been through every three column layout on the WIKI, but I can only find advice to avoid wide elements, but no solutions to the problem. ...

Yes, the usual advice is to avoid putting 10 pounds of stuff into a 5 pound bag. There's another solution: use a stretchable bag.

Your layout is unique from the point of view that there are no explicit width constraints on the center column. Most 3 col layouts have some sort of implicit or explixit width constraints. (I know from starting the 3col page in the WIKI.) So, where is the next constraint that can limit width? It's in the #ieWidth declaration which has width:100%. That declaration is doing more than setting min-width. It is also setting max width at 100% of the viewport. Your solution needs to expand beyond the viewport for certain pages, doesn't it?

What happens if you comment out that one line?

--
Bob Easton
Accessibility Matters: http://access-matters.com