on 10/13/05 5:58 PM, Peter Williams at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> That seems odd, I wonder if you have somehow written the
> declaration wrong and gotten the system default sans-serif
> in place of the intended Arial Narrow?
>
> I just made a quick test case in a local file and used the
> following to see how it looks.
>
> CSS
> .arialnarrow  {font-family: "Arial Narrow";}
> .arial        {font-family: arial;}
> .sansserif    {font-family: sans-serif;}
>
> Markup
>
> This behaved as I would have expected, with Arial Narrow
> being very markedly condensed compared to the other two.
>
> What happens if you use Arial Narrow in a productivity
> app like a word prcessor? Is it rendered narrower than
> Arial in that case?

See link for sampling:
<http://www.newgeo.com/web/css/fonts/fonts.html>

As for the word processor, lets see: ah ha, I get it, A stock install of
Windows XP, does NOT have Arial Narrow in it.  I am a total windows noob, so
I just did the default install in Virtual PC, I don't even know where the
fonts are located at to look for the narrow.

Ok, found then: Arial, Arial Black, Arial Bold, Arial Bold Italic, Arial
Italic.

So, I guess we can not rely on Arial Narrow being there, unless some other
app has installed it.  I suspect Word/Office does, but I do not have that
installed, and can not assume everyone does.  Thanks for helping me get to
the bottom of this though.