> Are there any agreed-upon (or widely accepted) fundamentals
> (conditional comments vs. hacks; the 'best' box-model hack; best
> source for reliable hacks; top 3 issues to address, when and how to
> position divs, etc)?
>
> Without knowing or understanding some basics, I get the feeling that
> I'm building on quicksand, and thinking fondly of tables.

That is the main issue IMHO. Designing with CSS and separation of
structure presentation and behaviour is not only about the techniques,
it is about embracing the idea of flexible design vs. pixel perfect
layouts.

I've mused about this wide and deep:
http://www.wait-till-i.com/index.php?p=172

A great resource to get are the Dan Cederholm books, and if you must
hack, the hacks and fixes one.
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=GoodBooks

--
Chris Heilmann