Jesper Brunholm wrote:

>I have an alternativ approach to the solution, using your mentioned
>"position: absolute" instead of tables, for two reasons:
>Firstly, I was horrified by the huge number of table-cells ;-)
>Secondly, I wouldn't like to create the engine behind, administrating
>the table-setup.
>
>SO I went for a solution with <div>s, having a background png for the
>15-minutes-grid and positioning the work/vacation-boxes absolutely, but
>in a position:relative -<div> themselves, which allows us to maintain
>top: 0; for them and just tell how many pixels=minutes from the 6
>o'clock left-margin we want it to begin, and how many pixels/minutes we
>want them to cover.
>
>It's all here: <http://garion.dk/webdesign/scheduling.html>, further
>explanations on demand, and if anybody is interessted in the rough and
>tiny PHP code behind some of it, just ask me off-list.

While this is a great proof of concept, I wouldn't use it on an actual
project.  This is really tabular data and belongs in a table.  With this
sort of layout, there is no underlying semantic meaning that the user
agent can make sense of without CSS.  Turn off CSS and see what I mean.

Even in an intranet setting where you can assure that everyone has CSS
turned on, this might not be a good solution because if it needs to be
significantly restyled it will probably take considerably more work than
restyling the table would.  With a lot of employees with very different
schedules, it could also get pretty messy -- a ton of ids to form the
colored spans for each of their schedules.  Maybe I'm wrong about this
last though -- maybe the PHP is doing something that makes this far more
efficient than I can see.

Zoe

--
Zoe M. Gillenwater