On 15 Dec 2005, at 1:56 pm, Roger Roelofs wrote:

>> Ah, I went only halfway there when I redefined the <li> element. I
>> needed to zero out <ul> as well. But this still doesn't work in
>> IE6/Win. Looks perfect in Firefox1.0x/Win. Doesn't work in Safari/
>> OSX.
>
> I can't test in ie/win (I'm on a mac).  I can tell what is
> happening in
> safari 1.31, but I'm not sure how to fix it.  If you add a light
> background color to the li you will see how gecko and khtml
> differ.  In
> firefox/gecko the li element is affected by the float and thus moves
> over to accommodate it and the bullet is drawn relative to the li.  In
> safari/khtml the li flows under the float just like the ul does and
> there is sort of an invisible container that is affected by the
> floated
> image and the bullet is drawn relative to this anonymous block.

This works as expected in various browsers.
style in the <head>.

Essentially make the li become a new formatting context, then the
whole thing moves. I use {display:table} for modern browsers,
'hasLayout' for old IE. IE Mac will need {display:inline-block}.

Of course, if you want the list to wrap under the image, then another
solution is required.

<http://dev.l-c-n.com/_temp/list-image.php>

Philippe
---