I am *assuming* that it will ALSO be available on Windows XP Service
Pack 2 systems even though that's not listed in the  "will ultimately be
available on" list.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Eric A. Meyer
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 4:00 PM
To: css-d@lists.css-discuss.org
Subject: Re: [css-d] IE7 Beta goes Public

At 3:20 PM -0500 1/31/06, Bryce Fields wrote:

>Test those sites now.
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx

    Oh, now this is interesting:

"Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview will only run on Windows(r) XP
Service Pack 2 (SP2) systems, but will ultimately be available for
Windows Vista, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, and Windows Server
2003."
-- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/ie7betaredirect.mspx

So it will not be available for Windows 2000, it would seem.  That's
going to complicate the picture a bit.
    I think what would serve the list best would be a wiki page with a
bunch of links to tests of known IE6 bugs or support gaps that are
supposed to be fixed in IE7.  For example, listing test pages for all
the various float bugs (doubled margin, etc.), CSS2.1 selectors, CSS
hacks (star-html, etc.) and so on.  The wiki would be a great place to
collect all those and to share testing results.
    I'm advocating putting that on the wiki because it will keep the
information in one public place, so that non-members can make use of the
links and see the results of tests, and to avoid having the list drowned
by IE7 testing results and related traffic.
    There is no doubt in my mind that IE7 traffic will become dominant
over the next several months, especially once it goes final, as people
work to deal with changes on their sites.  Providing a solid context for
those discussion with a wiki page strikes  me as a good way to go about
it.
    So:

    http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=IE7

But please let's not start a round of "hacks are breaking! hacks are
necessary! hacks are evil!" on the list, especially not now.  Let's find
out what we have first, and let the dust settle a bit before we worry
about which way to jump.  And always remember that this is a beta!

--
Eric A. Meyer (http://meyerweb.com/eric/), List Chaperone
"CSS is much too interesting and elegant to be not taken seriously."