Sander van Surksum wrote:
> I'm using the 3 colomn layout with a width of 775px. The leftnav has
> a bg image en the rightnav has a border-left. Sometimes the leftnav,
> content or the rightnav are longer as the others. So al the colomn
> has to auto stretch but i can't figure out what i'm doing wrong.
>
> Is this posible with floating elements or do I have to use position:
>  absolute; for every colomn?
>
> http://www.johnsten.com/test/test.htm

General advice: avoid using absolute positioning as main layout-method.
AP-layouts tend to become too rigid and inflexible - mostly because
IE/win has severe limitations when it comes to 4-side positioning.

OTOH: this...
<http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/css/holy-gruel/juanpercent.htm>
...looks like a working solution - with absolute positioned elements and
all.

You may also find this alternative useful...
<http://www.alistapart.com/articles/holygrail>

...and Ryan Brill's 'negative margins' is still working well...
<http://www.alistapart.com/articles/negativemargins>

Other layouts along the same lines, using floats and flow, are around -
waiting for a search. Look in the css-d wiki also.
Most, if not all, can be styled for 'fixed width' and 'any column
longest - same apparent height' layouts.

I use a variant of Ryan Brill's 'negative margins' myself - which is
styled to fall back to fixed width in IE/win if one turns off javascript
support in that browser...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/molly_1_18.html>
...but that layout-version may be a bit too complex with its
undocumented 'imageless faux columns' and other 'personal garbage', so
it's more of a demo of what one can do with floats and flow.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no