Schalk,

Re-sizing text presents problems. Look at the design in FF  Win and press
control+ and you will see a page that  renders similar to  what you see in
Opera. Perhaps sizing the menu elements in em's may help.

I  would be interested in any feedback you get as a result of your fixed
width design that is greater than 800px wide. I instruct a "how to use your
computer" class for real estate agents and a majority of these users keep
their screens set to 800px wide. Many also set IE to the large text size.

Jim