> First my compliments for the simple and beautyfull design (simple on
> screen! lots of things behind).

Thank you. This is actually my first relatively complex CSS design and I'm
still learning.

It's powered by Drupal, which allows me to implement some extremely powerful
features and still keeping it simple. Highly recommended, it happens to be
Dutch in origin! :)

>My suggestion would be to skip all the IE-png troubles by using
>transparent gif's instead. In the logo you are losing 1210 - 241 = 969
>colors, but with my eyes and monitor I don't see any loss of quality. In
>the nav-bar background, consisting of greytones, nothing is lost.
>See (reduced ;-) ) testpage
><http://home.tiscali.nl/developerscorner/css-discuss/test-jakob.htm>.

Thank you very much for taking your time setting this up. I attempted to use
GIFs but I never managed to get the GIFs to look good enough but these ones
you made look real nice and sharp, with high color fidelity. The problem I
can see is with the background elements sliding under it and the drop
shadows I have but it seems to work great with the GIFs you got there.

>btw 1, I could not use your original images, seems some serverside
>script is prohibiting direct download (used images from screenshots).

The images for the design aren't served through Drupal but I think you would
need to get the file paths from the stylesheet. It's kinda messy :)

>btw 2, At some moments, not always, your page is loading very slowly,
>especially in FF (?). To see what is downloaded all together, I tried
>the speed tester of WebSiteOptimization.com, but that is failing - don't
>know why. See speed rapport request
><http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/wso.php?url=http://www
>.jakob-persson.com/>.

I'm using a Drupal module that prevents spam bots from accessing the site,
it seems to block this site as well. I'll have to disable the module and
test the site.

What might slow it down is the IE behavior which traverses the DOM tree to
load the alpha for the PNG files.

>btw 2, Why shouldn't you combine all the nav-images and their
>hover-variants in 1 image, and use css-hover instead of the
>"MM_preloadImages()" script and a lot of html-mouse codes? It can
>simplify and speed up the pages, I guess.

That would be a good idea. I'd like to use the PNGs for now but reducing the
number of PNGs to just one and use the alphaimageloader filter in the CSS
instead, that would speed things up considerably.

Reason I don't use CSS hovers is because images for navigation is an old
technique which produces similar behavior across browsers, whereas css
hovers aren't so predictable, I was thinking of using an <ul><li> list, the
ones I've seen so far haven't been consistent across browser. And for this
part of the site where a 1 pixel gap would be highly visible I opted to use
a more traditional technique. However it would sort the image preloading,
and would speed up page load time.

Well I have to head off and do some experimentation!

Again, thank you very much!

Jakob