Marc Funaro wrote:
> HTML 4.01 Strict is what I think I'll shoot for.

Good choice.

> It seems the validator does not like the ULs nested inside, but
> that's what I think I need to accomplish...?

Wrong nesting of lists.

Each subsequent ul should be wrapped in a li, like so...

<ul>

<li><h3>Writers</h3></li>
   <li>
     <ul>
        <li>NYS LitMap Authors</li>
        <li>NYC LitMap Authors</li>
        <li>NYS Native American Authors</li>
        <li>LitMap Author Nomination</li>
        <li>Circuit Writers</li>
        <li>Interstate/International Writers</li>
     </ul>
   </li>

<li><h3>Literary Entities</h3></li>
   <li>
     <ul>
....and so on. Also, notice the headlines I've put in there.

Example of heavily nested unordered list...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/toc_7a.html>
...with valid nesting.

> Once I have the markup validated, I'm not sure where to start, in
> order to apply different styles to lists and "sub lists" and "sub sub
>  lists", which this left navigation DOES contain... Can you point me
> to a good article?

Someone else might chime in with a suitable article.
I think you'll do fine on your own.

Zero out margins and paddings first, and then try adding them back along
with some styles. Setting 'list-style: none' will also probably work
well from the start.
Doing it from the bottom yourself, may take slightly longer than just
borrowing some solution, but you'll learn more that way.

> Also, I have changed PageTitle to <h1> and applied a style there,
> which works.  I have also put all my text into P's and applied the
> style there as well.

Looking much more organized now.

> I am slowly working through the list of suggestions... This is
> turning out much better now.  I can see that my overriding
> skills-needed area is in planning the HTML part of the document, long
>  before the styles are applied. I just never would have envisioned
> the "sections" or "tiles" of this document as they have turned out,
> and so my starting point was already quite poor.

Plan the source-code well, and you can style it to look like almost
anything. Only IE/win's weaknesses are giving us some real headaches at
times, the other browsers create mostly minor problems.

> What are all of you using for regular development - Opera to start? I
>  read in one of the (many) articles that Opera now always tries to do
>  everything without a "quirks" mode, and the latest version now
> supports the DOM standard... So does that make it the best browser
> with which to do the primary development tasks?

Opera's 'quirks mode' replicates IE/win in most parts, and will continue
to do so, I think. Its support for standards are growing steadily, but
it isn't perfect or bug-free yet.

Choice of browser as design-tool is mostly a "personal preference" thing
that we rarely discuss - apart from mostly agreeing that it should be
one of the most standard compliant ones.

I /personally/ think Opera 9.0 beta is the strongest browser at the
moment - so that's the one I always start designing in. Some prefer the
latest Firefox or Safari. Any design should be tested in all of these
and a few more anyway, so it's no big deal, IMO.

Just don't design for/in IE/win. Those buggers (IE6 & IE7) should be
left out till later... much later :-)

regards
        Georg
--