Janet Chang wrote:
> I also noticed that when using ems, if I open up my Bookmarks column, the
> blue box shifts outside of the entire page. But I just realized it's
> probably because the blue box div is separate from the content div and
> there's no container div around this whole section. Arrrgghh. Our backend
> site structure was pretty poorly designed and it's driving me nuts.
>
> I had our developer move the banner image and the blue box into the content
> div (I don't have direct access to those b/c we're using ColdFusion to pull
> things dynamically), but then things got really screwy and floats didn't
> seem to help, so we moved everything back. And now for some reason the blue
> box doesn't want to move back up so that it's aligned w/ the top of the
> banner even though I think I reverted all the CSS back to the original.
>
> <Sigh>....I think I may just have to reconcile with the fact that I'm not
> really going to be able to fully fix this right now until we can clean up
> other parts of our code. Guess that means I go back to concentrating on the
> MacArthur site, which at least I have more control over.

Janet,

As you're seeing, being able to use CSS fully means having the content
well-structured with good (X)HTML. ColdFusion is just a server-side
scripting thing -- you can have it output whatever (X)HTML you want. I
suggest taking the end-result (X)HTML that you have now, saving it as an
.html file, and applying your CSS to this static file. Make whatever
changes to the markup that you need to make to get the visual display
you want. Then give this altered markup to your programmer and ask him
or her to alter the scripting to output your markup. They should be able
to comply.

I've just gone through this same process with my ColdFusion programmer.
Another designer and myself built a static HTML page, built styles for
it, and then inserted notes into it about what areas of the page needed
to be dynamically generated. We gave it to our programmer and he tried
to get the markup to come out matching what we had given him. It took a
little bit of back and forth, me telling him to wrap certain areas in a
div with a certain id or add in forgotten closing tags, but he finally
got valid output and we were then able to style it as we needed.

Best,
Zoe

--
Zoe M. Gillenwater