Chris,

that does the trick - thanks.  I am intrigued that you thought to try that,
but the fact that it works does suggest diferent rendering paths similar to
has_layout.  I guess the question is then, whether this should be reported
as a firefox issue, or can someone come up with an explanation?

Thanks anyway, I will use that to avoid having a fixed height in my floated
leftcol.
Tony