Hi folks and friends !

I've been plugging at this bug for days ... hope someone has an idea.

In order to reproduce a client site, I've used ul li lists for the top
navigation menu. There are special graphical images on the left AND right sides
of the list items that must change when the anchor is hovered over. For that
reason I added the spans in there, especially as without the spans, I can't get
a li:hover background-image to show up.
(But that's another problem, which I don't have to deal with at the moment.)
Let's just leave the spans in there for a moment.

Anyway, it all looks fine in FF 2.0, but things go strange in IE 6.

I have added a special color blue so that it's obvious what happens.
When you hover over the menu items in IE6, you can see that the
background-color of the anchor is leaching over the top of that same anchor's
background-image.
To the same width as the parent li.

I tried to track this down with FF Firebug, but of course that doesn't work in
IE :) and I can't figure out why the blue bit extends over.

It's not the padding-bottom that's causing the error - I tried changing it and
that does affect something else, but not this leaching problem.

The site is a subdomain:  http://spip.novado.ch/squelettes/pmcbox.html

Any and all ideas most appreciated.
Cheers,
Mark