Mark Richards wrote:
> Barney wrote:
>> IE bug fixes of this nature have no historical precedent.
>
> Well, consider that IE7 no longer supports the * html hack.  I'd call
> that a precedent.
>
> Mark

IE7 is a different browser. If it did support the star hack, we'd be in
terrible trouble - Microsoft themselves acknowledge that.

The star hack has been kept for IE6. IE7 has to use different hacks.
This is really not a problem at all - it is a blessing.

david wrote:
 > No, it's not. Because your typical business isn't concerned about the
 > "grand scheme of things". They're concerned about their little piece
 > of it. There it IS significant.

Yeah, I suppose the "grand scheme of thing" isn't of concern to anyone
really (?). I'm not a businessman, so I can't really carry this on with
any authority. However I am always hearing about people having immense
difficulty justifying accessibility to business-minded clients, so I'm
not so sure the sales people are all that obsessed with appealing to the
tiniest of internet minorities. In any case, this is complete idle
theory. You shouldn't take me too seriously on this and if you do, it
should be off-list.

david wrote:
 > I disagree with that. They have every incentive to make things render
 > weird in their browser - so people will look at their market share,
 > say to themselves, "Well, they're the big one, don't worry about the
 > minority browsers" and go around designing sites that only look good
 > in IE. Then ordinary people using the minority browsers will
 > eventually get tired of sites not working right in their browser - and
 > decide they might was well use IE.

I can't see how that's a disagreement. Throughout this thread I've been
saying that Microsoft will keep their browsers acting significantly
different to the standard so that people will design specifically for
them. Ideally it'd be one or the other, but I design for both. Using hacks.

Regards,
Barney