Michael Netherton wrote:

> http://www.projectresponder.com/showindex.asp
>
> At the bottom of the center column, the last link from the sponsor's
> (right) column ends up being displayed.

It looks like one of IE's many 'duplication' bugs, but I wouldn't dream
of looking for a fix before the source-code is brought more up to
standard...
<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.projectresponder.com/showindex.asp>

Note: XHTML 1.1 should *not* - *not ever* - be served as 'text/html', so
IE6 should not be able to render your document at all.
Ref: <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/#summary>

You should choose another doctype, and write the source-code in
accordance with the chosen doctype.

HTML 4.01 Strict might be the right choice...
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/>
...or maybe XHTML 1.0 Strict if you can create and keep it 'wellformed'
and handle all the potential problems...
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/>

> I have one last, small issue as well. In firefox, the images for the
>  signboard on the page linked above, there is a break between the top
>  and bottom images.

This is _correct_ behavior - even if I don't like it any better than you
do. Images are inline elements by default, and the gap is providing
space for text-descenders - even if there's no text.

Add CSS 'vertical-align: bottom;' to the two uppermost images, to close
the gap.

regards
        Georg
--