On 2/18/07, ~davidLaakso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Beth Lee wrote:
> > This test site page is here: http://www.callibeth.com/dev2/index.htm
> > and the css is here: http://www.callibeth.com/dev2/css/main.css
> >
> > In FF2, I'd like a little more room above the text in the quote div, but
> if
> > I add even 1px of top padding, the quote div height expands from 47px to
> > 58px, and space appears below the quote div. Something to do with #quote
> and
> > p #indexintroquote, but in spite of looking around the Internet for
> possible
> > answers, I'm clueless.
> [Many other questions trimmed]

With regard only to the quote issue:

> There is (I think) a "collapsing margin" [1] issue at work as well-- it
> is easier to see in Opera/9.02. You may do better by deleting the
> height. Adding a 1px  padding-bottom for the margin problem. And zeroing
> out the padding, and margin on the font (except for the padding-top). A
> ie height correction hack is for ver 6 and down:
>
> div#quote {
> /*min-height: 47px; */ <<<delete
> padding-bottom: 1px;  << add for margin-collapsing*/
> }
>
> #indexintroquote {
> margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0; padding-top: 7px; padding-bottom: 0;
> <<< add these
> }
>
> hack for ie/6.0 and down
> * html div#quote {
>   height: 0;
> }
>
> [1] <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/box.html#collapsing-margins>
>
> PS I think you need a more suitable doctype.

Thanks for the reply. It works beautifully. I wish I knew why. I looked at
margin-collapsing, but I couldn't figure which margins could be collapsing.
I thought the applicable divs all had 0 top and bottom margins.

What would be a more suitable doctype? A link to a good explanation would be
helpful. (This is a web certification project, and the course instructs us
to use this doctype, so I'm not sure I can change it on this website, but
I'd like to know the pros and cons for the future, or maybe for arguing with
the instructors :) .)

Beth