Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
> ~davidLaakso wrote:
>> However, with both of your sites (and this is a personal opinion that is
>> not shared by all on this or any other list), I find sites that require
>> both horizontal and vertical scrolling when the fonts are scaled to be
>> bothersome.
>
> Not just font size but window size. I think every relatively interesting
> design
> will have its limits as to how small the window can go before the design
> breaks up.
>
> Personally I aim to make sure anything I do works on 800x600, but for
> everyone
> this will vary.
>
> Erik, the site you highlighted will go down to about 850px (in Firefox 2)
> before
> the first link in the navigation bar starts to go off the side of the window.
> don't think that anything in the design requires a window this wide.
>
> Everyone's needs vary, but 850px width for such a simple design worries me
> personally.

I agree with you Daniel. In this case it was the client that came up
with the basic design. And initially it had even more white space. My
client said he likes space and designs with lots of room. I don't know
if i can translate this in understandable English, but he said:
I want to create a certain image. And create a certain athmosphere.

And thus i told him that in most cases (if not an art work) the primary
  goal of a website is to provide information to the visitor. And
preferable in way so that the visitor can take that info as easy as
possible. And that scrolling is very irritating to a lot of people.

So at first i made a small version of his design. But he did not like
it. It was not breathing the right athmosphere he said. So i expanded
the design again until he was satisfied.

What can you do if a customer insists?

Erik