On Jul 29, 2007, at 4:46 PM, Francois Jordaan wrote:

> Could someone please shed light on the big difference I see here
> between
> Windows and OS X?
>
> http://www.fjordaan.net/tests/icontest.html
>
> The most obvious annoying symptom is the cropping on the icons
> (which are
> 16x16). But the line-height differs by a whopping 2px. I could
> understand
> cross-browser differences, but the difference even exists between
> Firefox
> 2.0.0.5 on Windows and Firefox 2.0.0.5 on OS X!
Well, you don't set any line-height, and the default 'normal' is used.
For Firefox, normal is equal to 1.2. (the same goes for Safari)
11px x 1.2 computes to 13.2 px. Even with your padding, you get a
very narrow line box.
Now depending on the platform, the (screen) resolution, the browser,
those 0.2px will be rounded off to different values. And the same
font might use slightly more/less space depending on the platform.
(and I always though that Firefox window used something slightly
higher - 1.25. But the underlying code tells me it is 1.2).

> What should my styles be to achieve the effect I want, cross-platform?

Set the line-height... 1.35 works nicely on my OS X browsers.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
<http://emps.l-c-n.com>