> Your page validates XHTML Strict but there's a <i></i> tag in
> there. <i> is deprecated and should be replaced with <em>. I don't
> know how the W3C validator is saying this page is okay with that <i>
> in there?!?

Actually there is a good reason it passes.

It is commonly stated that the <i> tag has been deprecated.  In fact it
has not, and is actually a better choice at times than its usual
replacement, the <em> tag.

The <em> tag, means "emphasis", and is usually represented visually as
italics.  But when you quote someone in a foreign language, or when you
cite the title of a journal article, you would want to use italics
*without* meaning "emphasize these words."  So there you would use <i>
instead.  It has no semantic meaning, instead it just creates italics
because that is how such text would be styled in the print world.

You could of course style that text via CSS instead, with a class on a
meaning than an <i> tag.  The w3c recommends using CSS for this purpose,
but has *not* deprecated the <i> tag.

Hope this might help.

--

E. Michael Brandt

www.divaHTML.com
divaGPS : you-are-here menu highlighting
divaFAQ : FAQ pages with pizazz

www.valleywebdesigns.com
JustSo PictureWindow
JustSo PhotoAlbum