Hi all!

I'm building a site strongly based on established style guides, in which
all header elements have dotted bottom-borders that stretch (as you
would expect) accross the available vertical space.

And I want legends to act like headers. But after applying a very solid
reset (Eric's – trying this out for the first time) and applying
display:block, legends still can't completely escape their very weird
and specific niched-into-that-small-space-in-the-top-right.

A huge right padding and overflow:hidden on the forms is almost good
enough, but this eats into the right padding of the form (which is ugly)
and causes Safari to create returns wherever possible in the legend's
white-space in order to respect as much of the padding as possible. I
thought I'd have a look at what mysterious in-house css Mozilla was
applying to legends to differentiate them from other block elements, but
to my surprise, there's nothing there. According to the DOM inspector's
CSS concatenator it's just a normal element.

Any wisdom out there?

Regards,
Barney