Alan Gresley wrote:
> I have been following this thread with particular interest but staying in the
> background while it bounded in and out of holy war territory. Keyboard
> Accessibility with CSS is possible by using the :focus pseudo selector but at
> this time, only Firefox and Mozilla (maybe any Netscape compliant) fully
> support the :focus property. Opera has a slight problem with focus and
> grabbing the submenus.
>
> What I do find frequently on this list is request for help with CSS menus
> that have far to many links in them, micro text or little boxes to hover in.
> You cannot simply grab some CSS from here, and from there, then add this bit
> of JS etc and make it all work. Is this indeed why CSS menus are described as
> *bad*
>
> Having developed a CSS menu that does all of what Christian has stated
> accessibility wise. Now all we can do is wait for other browser vendors to
> catch up and if not, add whatever JS is needed to help the other browsers out
> with focus. In my demo, I find the vertical version much easier to use.
>
> <http://css-class.com/articles/ursidae/bears5popupv-kbaccess.htm>
>
> 1. Use the tab key to access all list items, observing how the submenus open
> when a parent anchor is in focus.

    Quoting Thierry Koblentz (a famous name :)
> But what about keyboard users? One example I've seen in this thread is not
> accessible to keyboard users and the other forces these users to go through
> every single item in the menu  :-(

    If you're talking about menus with many items, this doesn't look
like the best option, at least not without the JS behavior found in the
menu Thierry himself (and many others, Georg included) points out
  http://www.tjkdesign.com/articles/keyboard_friendly_dropdown_menu/

    I was going to use the same approach you just used, but after seeing
that menu I changed my mind. It does become a problem when JS is
disabled, but I guess we can combine both techniques and come out with
something better. That's what I will be trying (some day for sure).

> 2. Notice the added use of the :after selector to add additional guidance.
>
> 3. Select any link (pressing enter) and go to a test page and then use the
> Alt+left arrow key together to return to the previous page with the same menu
> item still in focus.
>
> The normal hover functioning of the menu works in most browsers. Any test
> with the Khtml or Webkit browser engines would be appreciated. Regarding full
> accessibility at this point in time, I say that this menu is currently one of
> the best when javascript is enabled.
>
> <http://www.tjkdesign.com/articles/new_drop_down/default.asp>

    Interesting, looks just like the one found at
  http://www.alistapart.com/d/hybrid/hybrid-4.html
from the article at
  http://www.alistapart.com/articles/hybrid/
but with accessibility improvements.