Alan Gresley wrote:

> Ingo Chao wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Safari Webkit, Firefox 3b and Opera 9.5b render this test
>> different:
>>
>> http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/tmp/opacity/ ... Screenshots:
>> http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/tmp/opacity/webkit.png
>> http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/tmp/opacity/fx.png
>> http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/tmp/opacity/opera.png
>>

> ... Both Safari (beta) and Opera on windows shows the same in which
> opacity creates a new stacking content. ...

Thank you very much for the testing, Alan.

I just installed Safari 3.0.4 on my PC and got the same result as on
Mac: The blue box offsets under the red one (the z-index seems to apply
to the red box even if this element is not positioned). Thats different
to Firefox and Opera.

And Opera 9.5 PC does not form a stacking context for the red box,
because if if would, the blue box was not allowed to sit between the
yellow child of the red box "A stacking context is atomic from the point
of view of its parent stacking context; boxes in other stacking contexts
may not come between any of its boxes."
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#layers

Another problem in Opera can be seen in the orange area, where the
yellow and red boxes overlap: I may be wrong, but I thought this is not
how opacity should work on container elements and their children.
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/CR-css3-color-20030514/#transparency

> CSS3 stacking content is here, though no mentioned of opacity.
>
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-box/#stacking>

Hmm. Then I believe the stacking of opacity is to be defined in the
missing CSS3 Positioning Module.

Thanks again,

Ingo

--