thanks georg, see below

On Dec 16, 2007, at 3:46 AM, Gunlaug Sørtun wrote:

> Ron Zisman wrote:
>
>> http://www.ricochet.org/ricotest/ricotest.html
>
>> problem. file validates as css and xhtml 1, but it's not picking up
>> the background image i've assigned to the #outerwrap.
>
> The background-image is picked up, but #outerwrap looks and behaves
> like
> it's struck by "collapsing margins"[1]
>
> Adding either...
>
> #outerwrap {
> float: left;
> }
i moved the image to the body, as the outer wrap only extended as
deep as the last <div>, leaving the bottom of the screen blue.
it seems to work in the body...

question on size??? this is a whopping 600kp and is about 1800 px
wide and 1000 px deep. what are your thoughts on size? and
compression... i'm sure i can squeeze a little more... but what is a
sane size and weight? also, i have a blue background on the body, but
it doesn't extend beyond the image.as it shows as white.. what goes?

> ...or...
>
> #outerwrap {
> padding: 1px 0 0 0;
> margin: -1px 0 0 0;
> }

it did that. then i moved it to the body

> ...will reveal the background-image.
>
> These fixes also reveal a weak spot in the styling of h2, in that
> IE/win
> has its own interpretation of 'margin:auto;' on these elements -
> creating what looks like unwanted gaps in IE/win.
>
> Change that to...
>
> h2 {
> margin: 0 auto;
> }

applied.
> ...and IE/win will get back in line.
> Declare specific top and bottom margins if you want any.

and about the navigation.... the intention is to have 2 of 3 columns
of sub-navigation--3 or 4 columns floated next to each other. no list
will have more than 4 entries.

but before that, why is my list (ul) being pushed to the bottom of
#navigation?

definitely open to a more intelligent approach

> regards
>       Georg

thanks,
--ron