Mark Henderson wrote:
> Alan Gresley wrote:
>> Adding padding-top to the #content div will actually accentuate the
>> gap though this will even things out across browser-land.

>>> [...]

> ...but that wasn't an intended solution. I'm pretty sure that
> recommendation was made so Mike could see the full margins in effect
> and what exactly is going on.

That's right. Since "collapsing margins" is an often misunderstood or
totally lost standard behavior made partly useless by IE/win bugs, the
easiest way to demonstrate and *test* for what's happening is to make
the involved margin visible by preventing it from escaping its own
container and collapse into other margins in standard compliant browsers.

The 1px padding is interpreted the same way by all browsers, and once
all involved vertical margins are uncollapsed and visible in the actual
case, one can decide which ones to keep and which ones to change to
achieve the intended line-up across browser-land.

For more on the subject, check the linked-in articles/demos in the
relevant 'hasLayout' subsection...
<http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/onhavinglayout.html#uncollapse>

regards
        Georg