On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 09:43:08AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:

> I'm trying to replace an existing frame setup:
>
>     +-------------------------------------------+
>     |           header                          |
>     +---------------------+---------------------+
>     |                     |                     |
>     |                     |                     |
>     |    scrollable div   |   scrollable div    |
>     |                     |                     |
>     |                     |                     |
>     +---------------------+---------------------+
>     |           footer (optional)               |
>     +-------------------------------------------+

Here's where where I'm stuck:

    http://hank.org/csslayout1.html

is it possible to get the divs to fill 100% of the blue content area?

Also, if fonts sizes are increased then at some point the two divs
will not fit next to each other.  How can I prevent that from
happening?  Do I have some non-relative sizing?

Not very interesting, but a version with tables to get equal height
columns (although I've also used javascript to achieve that in the
past).

    http://hank.org/csslayout2.html

Of course, still have the problem of the <div>s being 100% height.

> with fixed height header and footer and with the center content area
> fluid as in this example:
>
>     http://www.xs4all.nl/~peterned/examples/csslayout1.html
>
> The problem I'm having is to get the center content area to *fill*
> vertically the content area as the window is resized.
>
> In the center content area I have two divs:

> with #left, #right { float: left }.  Each of those have content of
> varying length depending on the page and want each to be separately
> scrollable.
>
> What I can't seem to figure out is how to get the height of one (or
> both) of the left or right divs to fill 100% height of the content
> area based on the current window size.
>
> If the window is sized very tall then the divs should
> expand to fill the content area.  If the window is sized small the
> content will shrink (and display scroll bars if needed).  There should
> be a minimum width.
>
> Can anyone point me to an example of how to accomplish this?
>
> I've also looked at:
>
>     http://www.fu2k.org/alex/css/frames/
>
> Thanks,
>

> --