Bill Moseley wrote:

>> <http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/moa_31.html>
>
> Ah, that makes more sense.  Not sure I understand when the height
> expression is needed, though.

IE6 can't position opposite edges of an element, so a height-calculation
is needed for that, and older, IE/win versions to get the bottom of the
scrollable containers to end up in the right place.

See...
  <http://www.alistapart.com/articles/conflictingabsolutepositions>
...for more on that problem and solutions.

I adapted my own, mode-independent, "element fixed to bottom of
viewport" expression from this article...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_additions_15.html>
...to extract the height, but it's otherwise as in the ALA article.

>> ...but there are some serious weaknesses in containing stuff this
>> way.
>
> Anything specific?  I only tried in a few browsers and it looks good.
>  beats the five or six frames that were used before for the same
> layout.
>
> thanks very much for helping!

When jumping between in-page links the back button may not work as
intended when overflow is controlled this way. This seems to only be a
problem in some IE versions when "frame-like" solutions like this are
used, and I have not done any testing for the solution I presented. It
may work just fine :-)

regards
        Georg
--