Gunlaug Sørtun<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Alan Gresley wrote:
> > I know the fix/bug. As I said previously this is deeper.
>
> Not deeper than how a rendering engine (all rendering engines) splits up
> and treats elements as a set of "layers" which are stacked in a certain
> order depending on rules - of which CSS takes part. The fact that we can
> "fix" this case doesn't help much either, since the missing "hot-spot"
> on an anchor is more like a symptom for something potentially much worse.
>
> We should be able to interact with - :hover on (amongst other things) -
> all elements, so a simple test should reveal if this is a general flaw
> or isolated to one element in IE8.

In my case it's one menu and the first generation of anchors. Since you not
using IE8 I will give you visualization by using code view.

<ul style="float: left">
<li style="float: left; position: relative">

<a>hover Text node only</a>

        <ul>
        </ul>
</li>
</ul>

<ul style="float:left">
<li style="float: left; position: relative">

<a>hover Block</a>

        <ul>
        </ul>
</li>
</ul>

This is what meant by deeper, the position:absolute somehow helps with the
correct staking of the anchor. And  if a float is use instead we must use
position:relative on the anchor. IE8 is the only browser that behaves this way
but the following styles work the same way in all browsers

http://css-class.com/articles/ursidae/bears5ddh-kbaccess.htm

> That's ok Alan, it takes time to figure out an entirely new browser.
> I can relax and wait for answers, while piecing IE8 together in my head
> without having to do the work :-)

One thing good about IE8. It loads in a third of the time it took IE7 to load
but using the developers tools for toggling sometimes cause the toggling to
hang, and IE* must be reloaded. I find myself constantly looking up to see what
mode I in and sometimes I not sure if it stuck in normal IE8 mode or IE7 mode.
The fix again is to reload. Come Georg join the party, toggling is really fun
when it work properly. :-)

> >> [...]
> > I not completely correct here in a true sense since this can only
> > happen when a comment appears between the xml prolog and doctype.
>
> Not quite unexpected...
> <http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/quirksmode.html>
> ...and not really a problem. May change if they stop counting comments
> as source-code nodes in later betas and final though, so we should keep
> an eye on it.

Chris Wilson and Justin Rogers have already stated on the CSS WG list that this
behavior will be removed in a later beta.

> The perfect emulation of previous versions in all modes is essential,
> since any deviation means we'll have yet another version-set to go
> through and fix up while designing - and then another and yet another as
> new main IE-versions are released. That would be a disaster.
>
> regards
>       Georg

Here a interesting dilemma while these hacks are still targeting IE8. For other
listers apart from Georg, load this page initially in IE8 mode.

http://css-class.com/test/css/selectors/ie7hacktargetingopera4.htm

Only one red line selected by the * html hack. Now toggles into IE7 is see what
changes. Now IE7 mode drop support for * html and now use these.

*+html - target Opera 9.10 and 9.24

*~html - target Opera 9.10 and 9.24 and Opera 9.5 alpha

*+*+html

*~*~html

Now try to toggle back into IE8 and notice that the same four hack are still
red. No amount of toggling will change this. I not even sure if IE7 mode is
actually reached since the background on the page header is called in by IE8
conditional comments.

Alan

http://css-class.com/