>I mostly agree, but not on the "Rendered by IE 7" and "quirks"
>combinations. Your documents now have an xml declaration at the
>beginning which puts IE6 in quirks mode, but NOT IE7.
>The "Rendered by IE 7" row should be exactly as the "Rendered by IE 6" row.

The screengrabs I'm using are exactly how IE7 (a real version, not
IE8 emulation or a standalone) renders for me.

Note that even without the *+html declaration in there, IE6 should
see the * html, and IE7 should not. There is no way that the rows
could ever be the same.

Ah, I see what you mean. The way I have made it go into quirks mode
is not actually making IE7 go into quirks mode. My lazy bad. I'll
change it so it actually uses a quirks-causing doctype.

Done.

You're right about the lengths, but IE7's background colour
alternates from mode to mode. So not quite exactly the same as the
IE6 row.

Thanks for picking that up. I was wondering why IE7 wasn't picking up
* html in quirks mode and was thinking that I must have either just
hallucinated that I'd seen that behaviour before or that some other
congruence of bad voodoo had caused it... ;)

And obviously, the IE=7 and IE=8 tests for quirks mode were subtly
wrong in IE8 too. But that's now fixed.

I'll have to redo the hack tests for IE7 and IE8 in quirks mode too now...