Ibrahim wrote:

> Thanks all, I'm really happy now :)
>
> anyway, I fixed the menu on IE6, but still not sure about IE7 coz I didn't
> test it on IE7
> I commented the old code, you can check the css file.
> moreover, firefox need the attribute "float:left" to display it correctly.
> I think it's not the correct way to the menu but I have no choice.
> link: http://www.ndaworld.org/

Seeing that you have are referring to Georg's rescue of IE.

<http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/alien/iy/test_08_0330.html>

You should actually be replying to him. Yes the fix works in FF, IE6, IE7.
Ibrahim, what IE versions do have locally anyway?

> I think you got the ???? ?? ? ?? ? ?? because your computer doesn't support
> Arabic fonts, same issue applied to square things at the title (encoding)

No my computer shows the script correctly, my poor saving of that script caused
the sequence of ??? ???. It really doesn't matter because the Arabic script
makes as much sense to me as ????. My understanding is poor since the Arabic
script runs from from right to left but I can not tell if the glyphs in the
words are 1234 or 4321 order. Both glyphs directions can apply to right to left
text. As a guide for the future, those seeking help with pages with
bidirectional text. It would help to mention which direction the glyph run.

You have used a lot of text-align to arrange alignment of the script to cater
for IE problems but this is what the dir="rtl" should be doing anyway. Look
where the various browsers put the vertical scrollbar.

> Also, what are you using to save that page? IE/win (any version) is of
> > no use.
> >
> Sorry, I didn't get it.

This question was what Georg asked me, not what I asked you. The answer is that
I just copied your source code from the source in FF and pasted it into my text
editor (works OK with Latin script :-). Georg would have saved it in Opera
another way which preserved the script. I have a new template just coded in
Notepad.

> Thanks All again.
>
> any idea about the page center problem?
>
> Ibrahim

Yes it is this.

body {
        /* width:950px; DELETE */
}
div.center {
        /* text-align: center; DELETE */
}

div#wrapper {
        margin-right: auto;
        margin-left: auto;
        width:950px; /* ADD */
}

and in the HTML.

Delete this class center div from the source and remove it closing tag (just
before </html>). This div is automatically added by a MS authoring tool which
has also added the tables for layout. I presume that you have taken over the
maintenance of the site and in doing so you have inherited a page that was
coded for IE (like in the year 1997).

> I'm still not debugging for IE8, should I ?

Don't bother fixing it for IE8. It's MS job is to fix IE8.

If you have a standalone, for amusement just view Georg fix or my new template
and watch some weirdness like peekaboo activity. Double click on the content
text and what it jump. Hhover here or there and move small windows (100px by
100px) over various parts of the page. It shows all the symptoms of the
peekaboo bug [1]. Yes it still present but just triggered differently. I
attempting to correlate this with those trident rendering bands [2].

My new template shows the page content centered in all browsers apart from IE5.
IE6 and IE7 are now all fixed up. The problem was this.

#area {
        padding: 0;
        /* width:100%; DELETE hasLayout [3] trigger */
}

<http://css-class.com/x/ndaw/index3.htm>

The HTML in my template has striped the class center div and all tables from
the code. The CSS embedded in the header has been largely reduced and all
text-aligns have be remove from the layout divs. I have only remove a useless
(table div.center text-align) IE skeleton from a already strong frame. I have
also unfrozen the font size so now you can resize the text in all browsers.

What Georg has done you can use now. My new template is a based that you may
wish to use at a later date but before doing so you first must understand why
Georg's rescue and my reconstruction are different. The former is a traditional
doctype and the later is a strict doctype. Both are valid. One is coded for IE
and the other is a attempt at best practices.

BTW, read the last link "on having layout" over and over again until it sinks
in.

Isn't CSS fun!

[1] <http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/peekaboo.html>
[2] <http://css-class.com/test/bugs/ie/renderingbands.htm>