On 13/06/2008, Melbeach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I think this might be a little off topic but it's related to validating CSS.
>  As of late, my documents have been validating but I get this warning:
>  "Byte-Order Mark found in UTF-8 File" - I'm clueless as to what this really
>  means. Can someone please elaborate?

It means the first 24 bits of the file contain the UTF-16 byte order
mark, converted into three UTF-8 code units per the normal Unicode
code point --> UFT-8 code unit conversion. (Sometimes it's called the
UTF-8 magic cookie.) It's not needed. the only reason Windows needs it
is to tell the normal ANSI mode code pages, which are also 8-bit and
contain no magic cookie, apart from UTF-8 documents. Most intelligent
text editors have other ways of differentiating these, or simply
always assume UTF-8 for 8-bit text.

> I had this problem when I started out coding with Notepad. For some reason,
>  Notepad adds this to your text file and you have no choice about it. I
> started
>  using Notepad2 (http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html), which provides
> the
>  option of not including the byte-order mark. I use the encoding option
>  "UTF-8". The encoding option "UTF-8 with Signature" will add the byte-order
>  mark. I'm not sure how Dreamweaver handles it though.

Last time I used Dreamweaver it was still a Macromedia product, so I
can't help with that. But I know most good editors have a
show-non-printable-characters option. Try enabling it in a good text
editor. The good editors that don't have such probably have some other
way of manually telling it which encoding to assume for reading 8-bit
data, and a similar choice of which encoding to use when saving the
document.

I know SciTE handles UTF-8 with or without cookies as well as ANSI
encoding perfectly fine, so that's an option of editor if you want to
get rid of it.
--
David "liorean" Andersson